Tuesday 15 September 2009

Jazz After Dark


Well we had an absolute ball last Friday (September 11th). We managed to cram six of us on the stage - not quite all on the stage to be precise. Richard on bass was standing off the stage and my piano was also off stage. The horn section was right behind me and if I wasn't careful I would get a bell end in my ear ! But that I am afraid is what makes this place. Not only are the band on top of each other but the audience is too ! There is seating (apart from the VIP area) in the front area for around 30 people but that is tight. But it means that during the course of the night you can get to know everyone. We started off with an empty table for six which was reserved. I created a bit of expectation as to who the mystery guests were - on their arrival nobody was disappointed....! Six leggy blonde Latvians on a birthday night out - perfect! We also had a couple from Finland , four from France, Two scots, four Irish girls and some Brits - just one big international party knees up !
I have always said that our nights at Jazz After Dark come the closest to what the old Barrel Houses must have been like in New Orleans back in the day - with no boundaries between musicians and the audience and girls and alcohol a plenty.....it is amazing that we are still doing it nearly 100 years later
It is Rock'n'roll at its best - nowhere to hide - right in amongst it!!
If you ever get the chance to get down to see the band at this little unique soho club then please do !!

Website: www.red-stripe.info
Photos: www.flickr.com/theredstripeband
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/The-Red-Stripe-Band/30160044451
Youtube: www.youtube.com/redstripe69
My Space:www.myspace.com/theredstripeband






www.jazzafterdark.co.uk

No comments: